Saturday, August 20, 2011

No speako frencho

One of the more entertaining things about travelling in France with my parents derives from the fact that they don't know any French at all.  In general, I had assumed that everyone knew a little of the basics (bonjour, au revoir, parlez-vous français?) but apparently this is not true.  My friend Abby had a friend visit earlier this year, and she told the waitress that she "no speako frencho."

My mom runs around saying "messy" and "situ" and "voilaaaaaaaaaaa!" which are her versions of "merci," "c'est tout," and "voila!"  My dad looked at the menu and saw "soupe de poisson" and thought it was a bowl of poison:

  Me: No, dad.  "Poisson" means fish.
  Dad: Oh. I use the Poisson distribution all the time, so I am using the fish distribution!
  Me: No, the Poisson distribution is named after a French mathematician
  Dad: He was a fish!?

A few french friends had told me that they love hearing asian people speak english (as in, people with asian accents, and not me)... they think it is sexy.  Well, as an American, I can say that I love hearing asians speak french; I think it is very cute!

No comments:

Post a Comment